Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I have thoughts!

I started this blog to reflect.  Taking the big jump into the unknown wondering if I or anyone could benefit from these meanderings.

Today I am going to talk about family.  I personally know how I feel about family, what about you?  I lost all my immediate family starting at a young age (my eldest brother died at 24 when I was 12).  There began a tumble effect of deaths until I was about 24.  My father, my mother, an aunt who was like a second mother. 

I read how often (Facebook) the drama that is in young people's lives today.  Drama of their own making and yet none the less, still painful for them.  With wisdom of age, comes the appreciation of even one day where you could interact with a long gone parent.  Had I been so stubborn and dramatic?  Maybe.

I see where people pour their heart out on an open forum, thinking that no one ever see's or creates an opinion.  I recently had seen a post of a certain young person, which shocked me.  Out there was the anger and hurt that only a parent can feel, from the perspective of a 15 year old.  It was horrible.  A picture was painted of an ogre that loomed over this child like a scene from a Charles Dickens novel.  A private moment, and painful I expect was out there for the world to pass judgment on.

Dear ones, I appreciate this forum of open talk via facebook, myspace, blogs etc.  In fact as in my title "I have thoughts" I encourage one who feels that they may open a door for someone ... go for it!  But there are risk.

We all have responsibilities when we write.  Are they moments better left in the filing cabinet marked "personal" or is this something that should be shared.  What is to be learned or gleaned from the writing?  What is the purpose and meaning of those words to another human being.  Are they for humiliation, fear, bullying?  Then leave it alone and leave it between you and whomever.

With these new forums should come self control, but most often I do not see it.  Too much information is put out there for all to see.  Like laundry flapping in the breeze, with a message on each piece that hangs there...someone is going to see it.  Emotions, raw and new spew like acid.

I guess I am writing this to say that we all have to be tempered.  When we write we need to remember that "it" is out there for the world to see and pass judgment on.  So, what do I want people to see?

I don't mind posting emotions and feelings but they are controlled feelings.  Not when I am red hot mad, but when I can write like someone who cares what is read about me.  I self edit.

One last thought, if it will hurt another, don't do it.  If it is petty, small and common, drop it.  It takes a much bigger person to take a situation and reflect upon it without the bow and arrow in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment