Thursday, March 3, 2011

What is it with Women and Their Purses?

What is it with Women and Their Purses?

Can anyone tell me?  I use to be quite the hound when it came to shopping for purses.  I was always looking for the one which spoke to me.... here pick me....I can hold your sunglasses in a very special place..... your phone will never get lost in me..... come to me.......


It was 4 purses a year before I started spending some good money at LL Bean for purses and some trendy purses (with pockets for everything) called Baggallini’s  Yes, they are wonderful for traveling, strap them over the shoulder and you are stylin' girl!!!  If you are on the lookout for them try AAA. Of all places, they have a small selection of them and they are reduced in price for about 20% less.  

I picked out a wild lime green Baggallini for my last cruise, which my hubby claimed to be as bright as a neon light in the dark.  My next one was a larger one in a dusty blue, much more to his liking (like I really cared....when he starts carrying one he can have a say! LOL)  I did get him back recently by buying a new wallet...in neon green although a friend calls it "frog" green.  It is very easy to spot in the bottom of my purses!



I pretty much was settled into my LL Bean kidney shape, good for the back, lacking any great colors and costing way too much.  But, still not being a slave to fashion (just purses) I was in the mood to brighten my day!  Then I figure, take a ride to "see what's out there".


Not one to turn away a bargain I spotted a leather $40 purse at Kohls.  I had some discount tickets and that puppy ended up costing me a grand total of $7 when I was done.  It is neutral and will take me into the spring and again in the fall.  Okay, I have never been a clothes trend setter but I am a purse snob.  I am willing to pay $70 for quality, but $7 for a leather purse... that sucker was calling my name from the front doors...... come.....come....come......I'm yours....


Hubby was surprised (pleasantly he didn't moan because I was "buying" something I really didn't need) but wait....who uses a black purse when they are just aching for spring??  Tell me???  I am so ready for spring.  The past winter here in New England has been sloppy, cold and long!  I needed a little something to infuse HOPE!  Yes, those crocuses will come up by May (that is an exaggeration) and I will see grass again someday.  Like a good husband, he caved.  "It's rather nice" was my approval and a virtual pat on the back for a job well done in being so shopping savvy.


So my big old backpack is upstairs for next year.  It holds the world, just not my heart...at least for the moment.


Yes, shopping for purses can be a defining moment.  Are you making a statement?  Going for function over style, or does style trump everything?  Is it a large purse (very popular now) or something big enough only for a cell phone and loose change?


Ah the dynamics of women and purses, pocketbooks, wallets...  Who knew there was a science for each and every one of us.  Function?  Maybe that is important during the day, but give me a shimmery me happy purse for the evenings out.


To each their own, and I own plenty.

*
**
*

No comments:

Post a Comment