Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Noshing on Gum & Wearing Pretty Pink Robes



I sit here still in my bathrobe feeling guilty and lazy.  It was one of those nights and although I got up at 8 I still have not gotten into the day.   I wonder why.  I am noshing on gum, until lunch so I won’t eat the refrigerator clean. 

It’s not that I haven’t been busy.

I turned the kitchen table around, only to realize I liked it the way it was.  I had some quality time with the pets, always a good thing right?  Well, I am convincing myself that they love their “mummy” in a flowing pink bathrobe that makes me feel like someone out of a Harry Potter film.

I’ve let the dogs in and out three times already.  The sun is out, and they know it.  It is a dirty little secret that even when it is only 50 degrees in the sun, they feel constricted by the house too.  My only regret is the in/out of it all.  I stare out before I open the door because it would be a horror if the neighbors caught me in my jammies and big pink bathrobe.

One dog pounces out to take on the world, the other in a daze of confusion stands and wonders where the heck she was going.  She is our dear one with “doggy Alzheimer's”.  She often will go in a room and stand, as if to say, why am in here?  Or will circle around the large coffee table, not being able to go backwards or turn around and insist you move anything in her path so she may continue on her routine and journey.  Or the fact that she get's herself into these situations she is not sure of.  LIke the time we opened the dog gate, where she was standing on the end with the hinge.  She could not figure how to get out of the corner when the gate was opened and just looked helpless as to say “why am I in this prison?”

I don’t do this often (spend the morning with my jammies), well at least not often enough that I don’t feel guilty about being in a big pink flying robe.  The idea I might eat lunch this way gives me the heebee geebees.  What person eat’s lunch in their big pink robe? 

I can remember years ago (yea I am that old) that my mom always wore “house dresses”.  Another word for casual, I don't care who sees me but this is acceptable behavior.   Basically they were dresses that were usually made of cotton, often with short sleeves and buttons down the front.  Although, in the summer the sleeveless ones were acceptable too.  Now, she would go from her jammies right into this dress and wear it for days!  She was of a generation that didn’t waste anything.  Time, clothes or soap.  Not that she wasn’t clean, she was, but it was not unusual for her to wear only two dresses a week.  So, what is the dif?

The difference is no one wears house dresses any more.  Ah, it was like rolling out of bed, literally.  Take your dress into the bathroom with you and viola! You are ready to face the day! 

Sweats are always a great alternative.  Yea I could get a pair of sweats on, but then I would have to change before this evening because hubby and I are going out...people see me in sweats???  I don’t mean the cute ones, no the fleece warm as I can get ones.  The ones with paint stains on them.....

The gum noshing is going good.  It makes me realize I am getting a bit board.  “does your chewing gum loose it’s flavor on the bedpost overnight?  If your mother says don’t chew it....” Awe, gee, that is going to be in my head all day.

A quick sniff to the pink sleeve... yea it doesn’t smell yet.  Robes actually fight not to be washed, did you know that?  Yeah, they fly all over to avoid the brutal and harshness of the washing machine.  But, it got a good washing just last week, even with the terrible fight to get it all in the washer with the towels. Robes and towels, they actually hate each other.  At least that is what I tell myself to avoid washing the “big pink thing” all too often.

Well, I guess it is time to shower and wake up.  Put the body and mind in gear.  I will let go of my robe with a flare before then, hang it on the knob in the bathroom for this evening and wonder what would I ever do without it.  Now where can I spit out this gum???
*
**
*

No comments:

Post a Comment