Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ah, Fall and the Woes of Allergy Season!

Well, folks, I did find out why I was such in a "bum" mood.  Allergies!  By noon that day I was wearing a sweat shirt with a hood (and it is still in the 70's here) and I also just could not get warm.  I started to freeze!  Well, as luck would have it I also started to sniffle.  Now, I am a gal who doesn't get colds real often, and when I do I sometimes start barking (coughing) like a dog, and that is something I find terribly embarrassing.  I "woof", "woof" for weeks, and it often becomes bronchitis.  So, off I went and took my Aire Bourne fizzy, a hit off my nose spray and  gulp  of some purple allergy meds.  Lasted about 12 hours and I was back on my feet, sneezing but feeling much better.

Oh, how cruel a world that makes such a beautiful autumn to fill it with allergens! 

It is now days later and I am still wearing my hoodie, but I at least know why I am feeling the way I do!

I don't know about you, but I get all flustered if I cannot figure out why I don't feel good, either physically or mentally.

For me I will very often get a double whammy and when I feel lousy I also feel down.  There is something to be said about pulling yourself up by the boot straps though.

So, how does one do that?  I think it is different for everyone.  What may work for me, doesn't work for others.  But, here are a few things that I have used that will let me move forward.

1.  Give yourself permission to get some rest.  Hey, when you are absolutely freezing and even your legs are cold, you know something is up.  Your body is telling you it needs to mend and rest.  I am not saying crawl into bed for 24 hours, but what I am saying is allow yourself an hour or two to try to address the immediate issue.  For me I cover in a cozy quilt and put on the electric fireplace/heater and watch TV for an hour.  I often sleep as well. 

2.  After a rest, I get up and say to myself "this isn't a cold" (can you say either self denial or positive thinking?!)  Point is you gave your body something, now let's see where it takes you.

3.  Tell people.  Oh, how many martyrs out there?!?!?!?  "Oh I am fine......" as your eyes look downward and the words whine a bit at the end.  Be realistic and say, 'I am not feeling too well right now, so I am a bit low key".

4.  Prepare others.  If you cannot make dinner the easiest way to feel better about it is to make sure you have something in mind that is easy for people to prepare and feed themselves.  Now, I am not saying my husband is incapable, in fact he very often has had to pinch hit meals.  What I am saying that as a mom, you may be sending a signal that you need some "mom time" and still not get the kids to get overly concerned about it.

5.  Can you say Tuna Fish sandwich?

6.  Smile.  Unless you have meningitis, be grateful.

7.  Medicate.  How  often I have talked to someone, including hubby saying...did you take something for the headache?  No..... well don't whine.  Take the meds then let me know how you feel.  Take your own advice and DO IT.

8.  Drink plenty of fluids.  I am always drinking water, COLD ice water.  You would think that this would be the last thing I would drink if I was cold.  I still do, for health reasons, but there is no reason I can't have a nice cup of instant Chai tea afterward.

9.  Go to bed early.  Or even stay on the couch!  Point is be prepared to put some sleep into being sick.

10.  Don't go to work.  For years I managed about 12-15 people and it would drive me crazy when someone would come into work hacking, sneezing, blowing their nose and "spreading the wealth" so to speak.  Don't go, simply don't go.  No person is irreplaceable for one day.  Also, if you think you are that important, then let them know you can be reached by phone.  Point is YOU are to take care of yourself, so you therefore do not pose a health risk to others.

11.  Finally, know that tomorrow is another chance for a better day.  It is one day in your busy life, but in the scheme of things it is a blip in your timeline.  So, do you really want to stay miserable????


Well, there you go.  Take what you want and leave the rest.  I am not an expert by any means but I am a babbler.


Take care folks, stay healthy and know that you have the right to self heal better than anyone out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment