Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn "Nesting" and Apple Caramel Focaccia

 I love this time of year!  I seem to want to settle in and cook, bake and experiment with new recipes.  I go through the thousands (I am not kidding) of cookbooks I have at hand and I try new "old" recipes (from my vintage collections) and new "new" ones from the likes of Taste of Home. 

Something about when the weather starts to chill, but isn't cold.  You sort of nest and you begin to think about harvest.  Maybe it is my good old New England roots, but it comes naturally around autumn for me.  All the smells of apples, pumpkin, cinnamon gets my mouth to watering and my mind to working.

Always on the prowl, I find many recipes that I keep to prepare later.  Drives hubby crazy!  Sometimes I get to them, sometimes I alter them to being unrecognizable in their original form.  But, that is what I do as a creative cook and recipe developer.

You will get a taste of that from me here at this blog.  One of my many interest, as well as painting and writing.  You could say I am "full brain" dominant... for another time .....  Anyway.
  
I came across this recipe and it looked so fall like!  Something a little special but oh-so-easy to prepare.  I have adapted to my own flavors (like any good cook) So, I share! ;-)

Apple Caramel Focaccia  Serves 12

1 frozen bread dough, thawed (1 pound)
1/4 cup of melted butter
2 cups of THINLY sliced apples that have been peeled and cored.  I think Mac's are a little too soft, so Cortland is often my apple of choice, particularly when there is loads of sugar elsewhere in the recipe
1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 cup of white sugar
1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon each nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 small chopped nuts now the recipe called for walnuts but caramel and pecans???? yumm
1/4 cup of jarred Caramel Sundae topping


Preheat oven to 350

Spray a large baking sheet with Pam, set aside.  On a floured surface work the thawed loaf into a circle (or the best you can) to about 12 inches in diameter.  Transfer to the baking sheet.

In a bowl mix apples slices with sugars, spices and nuts.

Brush dough with melted butter (save some butter, as when it comes out of the oven you will brush MORE butter...can you say Paula Deen????... on the top.  Spread the apple mixture over the top.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the apples seem tender and the dough is browned golden.  Remove from oven and brush with remaining butter.

While warm, drizzle a bit  of the caramel topping over the Focaccia, cool a bit more (20 minutes)on a wire rack, (and put jar of caramel in refrigerator for about a half hour too) and drizzle MORE caramel on top.  The double layering is yummmmmmy.

Slice and serve!


JUST IN CASE YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT FOCACCIA

 From my favorite folks at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Focaccia (Italian pronunciation: [foˈkatʃːa]) is a flat oven-baked Italian bread,[1] which may be topped with herbs or other ingredients.
Focaccia is related to pizza, but not considered to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment